twitter
rss

*I'm sorry I haven't written in a while now. School has eventually taken it's toll on me and it has not given me the time to brainstorm nowadays. But anyways, there is this essay writing contest that will be held at Iloilo, Philippines. And so, I need to prepare for the essay should be about Green Chemistry and I don't know anything particularly about it. Hmmmpphhh...

So, the selfish me decided to take advantage of this blog. How ? You may ask ? It's simple. I need a place where I can post my studies/discoveries online about the said topic. It has to be readable from my mobile phone so I can review while I'm there.

Then I thought, why not post it here and nag my boring life to my readers ? Accordingly, that's 
why I'm here blabbering, blabbering about days here on earth.

Hence, without further ado and gibberish, here's my long and very tedious research.*




GREEN CHEMISTRY BREAKTHROUGHS

1.      IBM and Stanford University Unveil Green Chemistry Breakthrough That Could Lead to New Types of Environmentally Sustainable Plastics

·         ~development of new types of biodegradable, biocompatible plastics. The result of a multi-year research effort, the breakthrough also could lead to a new recycling process that has the potential to significantly increase the ability to recycle and reuse common PET and plant-based plastics in the future
·         ~“We're exploring new methods of applying technology and our expertise in materials science to create a sustainable, environmentally sound future,” said Josephine Cheng, IBM Fellow and vice president, IBM Research - Almaden.

IMPORTANT TERMS  IN GREEN CHEMISTRY AND RELATED
·       ~ Carbon footprint –the total set of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions caused by an organization, event, product or person.
·        ~A rising tide lifts all boats - This idiom, coined by John F Kennedy, describes the idea that when an economy is performing well, all people will benefit from it.
·        ~Clear as mud ­- very confusing and unclear.
·        ~Down-to-earth ­- practical and realistic.
·        ~Four corners of the earth ­- absolutely everywhere.
·        ~In broad daylight - seen and stopped.
·        ~Many moons ago - A very long time ago.
·        ~Sky is the limit - no limits to the possibilities something could have.
·        ~The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do.  ~Galileo
·        ~The stars may twinkle but the truth is hidden.
·        ~We see only what we know.  Johann Wolfgang
·        ~There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth.  We are all crew.  ~Marshall McLuhan
·         ~Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.  ~Chief Seattle, 1855
     ~Foliage, canopy, aurora , lush , sapling, abundant, summit, lagoon and dew – words that describe nature

LINES FROM NATURE ARTICLES
……I sometimes stare at the sky and wonder why we have made such a mess of things.  I wonder how we can tear up the seas and use up the trees all in the name of progress.  It is such a tragedy that we are damaging things so fast and they will soon be way beyond repair……
………..It is very sad to think future generations will not have the natural things to enjoy as we have had, and that they will be paupers when it comes to the offerings of the natural world. ……..
……..Nature can set a sky aflame at sunset or magically transform a familiar landscape into a snow-white wonderland.  It can paint a rainbow in the sky, paint beautiful autumn colors on trees, or paint a clump of daffodils in the grass with glow of soft sunlight………..







0 comments: